Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Shopping in the snow!!

I've been quiet for the last couple days, I am not sure exactly why. Maybe a change of environment or the change of pace. I've also stayed away from the computer and tried to pick up books instead... most internet access has been from my blackberry. So far the trip home isn't what I expected, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't met expectations.

Tomorrow starts the Christmas festivities in full for my family. Christmas with my mom in the morning and her extended family for Christmas Eve dinner. Christmas with my dad on Christmas Day. Somewhere in there will most likely be a visit to church. But all this depends on the ability to leave one's house... which is pushing it at this stage. There is compact snow and ice on almost every road: 9"of snow fell shortly before I arrived, another 3-5" since, and another 3-6" is expected tonight. The city of Seattle owns 27 snow plows and they can't salt the roads due to the ecological impact so we won't be driving anywhere.

This poor college student has done most of her shopping. After being snowed in, sans taking my puppy for a walk, I couldn't take it anymore. There is still no way that one can drive up the hill my father's house sits on, so I had to walk... to the mall... don't worry it is less than a mile and for this city girl, that ain't nothing! But remind me who decided to build an outdoor mall in Seattle? Where it rains 150 days out of the year??? And every 4 or 5 years we get a snow storm from hell...

For all the shopping I have done I have not spent a dime. I have used almost every gift card I owned though and after getting $4 from my mom (which was the difference for buying the biodegradable version of a product) I used this small bit of cash to pay the difference at Pier 1 and to buy felt at the arts and craft store. So now have a gift for everyone.

So why am I heading back to the mall tomorrow? Well because I left two gift cards at home this morning and I am continuing to hunt for this particular hoodie that my brother wants (my dad is in need of another gift for Little Bo). So back to the store I will go. When all is said and done I think I will have done well; I am very proud of my purchases.

No comments: