Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve!

Christmas is two and a half hours away, and it doesn't feel like it at all. I don't know what it is suppose to feel like, I guess not just another day. Sans the fact there is snow outside it could very well be July.

When I was in high school I was part of one of the largest Christmas pageants in the region, it started with a concept sketch by February, Script approval by August, auditions in September, dress rehearsals and set building the weekend of thanksgiving and ten shows prior to Christmas. In other words it was all consuming.

Christmas Eve morning was spent opening presents with my mom and Christmas Eve with my mom's family. Midnight Mass and then to bed for Christmas with my Dad. Christmas was always so magical... there was an adrenaline preceding the holiday...

The year before I left for Georgetown, I stopped participating in the production. I no longer saw eye-to-eye with the powers in charge, so I walked away. My first year home from college, I had the flu. Sophomore year we didn't have power. Junior year I had an ear infection. This year is a White Christmas, but since we have been snowed in since my arrival on Thursday none of the normal festivities have occurred. No nutcracker, no trip to see the gingerbread houses at the Four Seasons, no Christmas Carol play. I was at school so I didn't participate in Buckeye Sunday. With the snow I have yet to see any friends or any extended family. Never mind the fact that in the lead up to Christmas I was so consumed with school that I couldn't give Christmas its due attention...

Did I mention that we are snowed in and the Christmas Eve dinner was canceled and moved to this weekend after the snow melts. Family couldn't get here, heck we couldn't even make it out for church. Let alone venturing over for the exchange of presents with my Mom this morning, and I am sure she is disappointed. Heck, I am disappointed. I am counting my blessings, yes. I am glad I am home with family, which is what really matters. But I also miss my friends... I know Christina is having a tough trip in Mexico and I don't know how to make it better. Life is tough right now what with Little Bo's accident, the economy, 18" of snow, and for some reason a heavy heart. It just feels like something is missing.

And I guess what I am saying is there is not a lot of peace or joy around here, and I wish there were. So wherever you are, here is wishing that your day is filled with peace and joy. I hope you have a very merry Christmas!

No comments: